Monday, August 5, 2013

Naïve.


As a college student, I work as a server in a restaurant to help pay my bills. It came to my attention today, although, that I have never run across a group of more naïve people. Many of my co-workers were asking me today how WeFest was – which is a large country music festival in Detroit Lakes, MN. I proceeded to tell them that I did not go to the Carrie Underwood concert, because many of my friends and I study agriculture and are extremely passionate about it, and that Carrie Underwood is a vegan and goes against everything she grew up with and associates herself with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I also was explaining to them how I have had many run-ins with the HSUS through a few agricultural conferences I have attended. Curious, they asked me what the HSUS is.

“Humane Society of the United States” I responded.

The servers then stated, “Well, they are in charge of all the humane societies with the cats and dogs. So why is that bad?”

“Actually, they are not associated with them at all.”

I did not think I could be so shocked by what I heard next in response. “Well, I’m from the cities so I don’t know about that stuff, so I’m not going to believe that.”


I sit here now stunned and ponder multiple things:

              1.     How does one become so naïve?
              2.     Where does one get their facts?
              3.     Why did I not respond with anything?
              4.     How do I change someone’s perspective of agriculture?


Ultimately, I have to keep educating myself in order to educate others. I have gain their attention and keep their attention and make them want to learn more about agriculture and what goes on in our country and world.

No comments:

Post a Comment